Resist the Monster of Fear
Dear Family and Friends at LOC,
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me.” Psalm 23: 4
As human beings we have a great tendency toward fear. I believe it is the greatest obstacle in our walk with Jesus. As I mentioned to the children on Sunday, Peter was walking on water while the storm raged as long as he kept his eyes on Jesus. Once he began focusing on the wind and the waves he began to sink. Precisely the same issue for us today: as we keep our eyes on Jesus we rise above the storm. When we take them off him we begin to sink. Eyes on Jesus … always.
Here are some thoughts as we face the fears of coronavirus as well as our ordinary anxieties:
1) Most importantly of all, pray. Fear has the potential to bring us back to our Heavenly Father. This is why the bible tells us to cast all our anxieties upon Him, because He certainly loves us. (1 Peter 5: 7) In this way God can take our fears and grow our faith in Him. Don’t deny your fears. Bring them to your Father, give them to Him, and ask Him to give you His peace, power, wisdom and strength.
2) Followers of Jesus walk in faith not fear. For those who do not know Jesus yet, or think Christianity is simply a religion instead of the most dynamic, life-transforming relationship ever, it is very important for followers of Jesus to encourage them. Allow the Holy Spirit to grow your heart for people who are truly afraid today. Reach out to them in love. God will give you words to bring them comfort.
3) Pray for world leaders and medical researchers and doctors around the world to resist panic and work the problem. I believe that although there may be some who want to use this time for political gain, most are looking to do the right thing. Pray for God to help them to that as they consider how to stop the spread of the virus, help those who currently are infected, and remain calm in the process.
4) Take care from whom you get your information. In order to stay in business the media needs viewers and readers. Selling fear gets lots of people to tune in and watch for a very long time, which increases ratings and revenue. If you want to be afraid and grow in your fears watch the media. If you want to get actual information on the coronavirus and steps to protect yourself and your family, which also helps us calm down, please visit places such as the Center for Disease Control at https://www.cdc.gov/
5) Praise God that we are not alone! We can and will do all things through Christ who gives us strength. (Philippians 4: 13) I also believe He will bring many people to true faith during these upcoming weeks. Always remember: every crisis is temporary but true faith in Jesus is eternal. Be ready every day to share the reason for the hope that you have in Christ Jesus. (1 Peter 3: 15)
Your brother on the Journey with Jesus,